Developing SMART Objectives
Scope of this Lesson Units
The scope of this lesson unit includes the work of determining objectives, applying
the SMART Objectives tool and discusses "Management by Objectives",
all part of the strategic planning process.
At the completion of this lesson unit the student will be able to:
- Analyze organizational requirements and, applying the SMART Objective
tool, define specific objectives.
- In a given organizational/project situation, analyze the stated objectives
and determine whether they satisfactorily state the organizations intent.
Related Lesson Units
The related lesson unit is Strategic Planning Processes and Tools.
Strategic Planning Process and Tools discusses discusses the process
of determining what the organization should be doing and how to interpret high
level organizational objectives into specific project outcomes.
1. Read the Introduction Page.
2. Read the text web references. Web references are provided that will support
your text reading and provide sector specific information.
3. View the PowerPoint Presentation, SMART Objectives.
4. Do the exercises on the exercise page.
5. Discuss the exercises in the Introductory Module Discussion Area.
It is anticipated that this lesson unit will take between 2 to 3 hours to complete.